Thursday, November 7, 2013

Smithfield Valley Memory


Smithfield Valley Memory
72" x 48" Acrylic on Canvas


Above are two paintings, the first on the left is actually the sketch for the second. I needed to do a full size sketch because it was intended as a possible commission and needed to be seen in the proposed space. I am happy with it and the commission was granted, but the canvas and stretcher quality was questionable, so I decided to do it over again. Here is the under-painting next to the sketch.
My finished painting, at the top, is a recollection and not from life.
I particularly like the visual activity on the sides of our roads and the movement of the eye from close to far and back again. The completed painting is all from a combination of visual memories, and a small amount of photo reference, all to support the feeling, more then to document the scene
  

1 comment:

tilly Strauss said...

It looks icey and lovely!