Thursday, August 16, 2012

Some Portrait Painting


Oil on Board 15.5 X 12.5

Recently I brought home some of my pastel drawings so I could photograph them. I left them on the bed and my housekeeper saw them. My house, is in Upstate NY and it is all about Landscape. Those are the paintings that are on the walls and the only art work, of mine, that she had ever seen. She a very quiet person, almost shy, but she asked me if I could do a drawing of her Mother. I knew that she has not seen her mother in more than 12 years!
It is the nature of this American life, it is on the news.  Whether it is NYC, LA, Chicago or places in between, and in my Upstate NY community, we have an emigrant population. Except for the politics and paperwork it is no different than my Italian and Irish grandparents. They did what they had to do. They never returned to their native countries, nor saw their parents or relatives ever again.
I asked for some pictures and she gave me several, including a book that her brother had made.
As I studied the pictures in the book, the caption under one of the pictures, of a very nice stucco house, with flowers and wrought iron, really got to me,
"This is the house I built with the money I made washing dishes at Denny's"
A smiling man was pictured with his very proud Mom.
So I tried my best to divine and capture all the love and memories.
 

1 comment:

Celeste Bergin said...

oh wow...is that touching! I teared up reading this post and looking at your fantastic portrait. You caught the Mom's humility and charm. I'm touched because my own family worked very hard in mind numbing and back breaking jobs. I'm proud of them. Thanks for sharing this, your empathy and kindness shines through your words and art.