Thursday, January 19, 2012

Owl Study



10" X 10" pencil in sketchbook

I am beginning to think about a new painting. 
I have a murder of crows in the neighborhood. A small group that hangs out behind my house and then they all get together up the road, about a half mile away. Most of the time I see them harassing the Redtail hawks that live across the field, but somethings they go crazy, just inside the woods and when I can get close enough to see what is exciting them, it is usual an owl. This can be the best time to see an owl. We have several kinds and I have spotted Barred Owls and Barn Owls, Screech Owls  and everyone's favorite The Great Horned Owl. The Great Horned Owl is here, but not a common visitor to my property. They like sycamore trees and the small stream about a 1/4 mile behind the house. I can hear their distinctive hoot.

3 comments:

Catriona said...

What an amazing drawing. I love owls, fascinating birds. I often listen to them from my bed hooting outside my window.

Jane said...

I love owls, but never saw one...they are not easy to discover , how exciting to have so many in your surroundings. Great sketch!

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Hi Dan!
Always nice to take a look by you!

good work dear Dan