Monday, November 1, 2010

Life Drawing Oct '10

Here are a few of my drawings from a life drawing session. I have not drawn in a group for a couple of years. I used to do it all the time.
Life drawing is a very physical activity. I like to draw standing up at a drawing table. This session was three hours.
I think of it more, like going to the gym, than as art making. I know many artists that can take figure drawing out to a high level (Phillip Pearlstein).
My eyes feel differently after even one session. I am normally right handed, but after several sessions, my left hand will start to hold chalk and draw, even without my realizing it.
 
I have heard that many art schools have eliminated their life drawing class. It is a changing art world! 
If you think about drawing as a tool, then I remember what my Dad's tool box looked like with wrenches, a hand saw and no electric drill.  My toolbox has battery operated drivers, saws and cutters and a laser level!?! So I do understand. 
An artist now produces art with new tools and skills.

But I really enjoy drawing like this! It has been an important part of my training. (I can give credit to Anthony Droege for teaching it to me, and in one intense semester). I feel it is necessary, for the way I see, and think. 

Something will be a lost when no one draws the human form from life anymore.

This is really just a short entry on a subject that could be pages. 
I will continue to post my drawings from these sessions.



11 comments:

all ways 11 o'clock said...

This is a wonderful post Dan. Your writing and drawings were a joy to witness. Thank you for sharing.

~robert

PAMO said...

Dan,
Your work just blows me away! If your skill level is any indication, life drawing should be mandatory for all artists.
Well written too. I agree with the above commenter- a joy to read and view. Thank you.

Celeste Bergin said...

I agree.....artists should be able to draw! Very nice work.

Jim Moffitt said...

A beautiful reminder of what I can only imagine can be done after years of drawing practice. Never truer art to me. Thank You..

Bitch said...

Thank you for sharing with us your
drawings and yes it is really a joy
to read what is the same moment in
your mind.
Monika

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

I love these drawings, and your thoughts, Dan.
Brilliant and quirky. Absolutely magnificent!
Thanks so much for sharing.
Happy Sunday!
Betty

Momo Luna said...

Oh it has been forages the last time i did life drawing. But i agree, drawing that way is such joy.

I love your nudes a lot. Especially the pinks you use in it. Lovely!

Sam said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Liz.Blog said...

I agree, something will be lost when no one draws the human form from life anymore.

W. K. Moore said...

Life drawing is indispensable to artistic growth (that is if you want to draw well) and your work shows a level of mastery. Glad I made my way over here.. I've enjoyed all I've seen.

VH McKenzie said...

Dan, I've been telling myself for months that I have to get back to a life drawing class -- just today, in fact, a colleague and friend of mine was giving me info about a series of life drawing classes in Soho that I SWEAR I will go to once the holidays are over.

Your work has inspired me to make good on my promise.

I LOVE the 2nd drawing, in magenta and chartreuse (of course), and admire the bold colors. Keep up the fine work.

Really fine.