Thursday, October 7, 2010

Old Drawing

In the summer of 1971, as a beginning art student. I would draw portraits outside, at fairs and festivals. I drew in vine charcoal, on newsprint and sprayed them with hairspray. I think $3. - $5. was my going rate. I really loved to draw and I could stand and draw for hours, without a break.
A portrait, from that time, has resurfaced. A very special drawing too. This is John K., my best friend through High School.
It is the best I could draw at that time. What I am most pleased about, is that I did capture the "likeness" and "spirit".
Later I moved away from the pressure of "likeness" and concentrated on trying to draw the best "head" that I could, but spirit is and will always be the most important.
Speaking of spirit; This drawing was sent to me by John's son, who I have never met.
John died of kidney failure in 1977 after a life with Nephritis.
I really could go on and on...

7 comments:

PAMO said...

What a heart felt post! Your drawing is indeed filled with spirit. How wonderful that John's son would grace you with this drawing you did so many years ago.

Wong Shih Yaw, Abraham said...

Hi, I love your portraits drawings and paintings! Not many people can draw and paint like you! :-)

Eva said...

This is a wonderful drawing and I was moved by the spirit of it even before I read the post.I will certainly become a follower.
Thanks for joining my blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I can see a lot of character in his face. And wasn't that the nicest thing of his son to send that to you.

abc said...

It is haunting. To know him and now feel united through the indelible imagery of your pen and intuitive openness of your mind keeps his spirt alive. Your gift of inner sight shared.

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY said...

Very powerful portrait drawing, Dan.
You're so talented. :)
It feels like staring at you.
Great words, too.

Hope you're having a good day.
Betty

Celeste Bergin said...

Hey Dan, just scrolling through your blog.....and had to comment on this one. It definitely is a beautiful drawing. Your subject had a gentle quality--you captured him.